Nature Vancouver Board of Directors Meeting
February 7, 2017, 7:30 pm
MINUTES - FINAL DRAFT
Attendance: Bill Kinkaid, Daphne Nagorsen, Nancy Prober, Jeremy McCall, Bengul Kurtar, Bev Ramey, Nigel Peck, Cynthia Crampton, Colin Clasen, Joan Lopez
Regrets: Jude Grass, David Cook
Guest: Helen Aqua
1. Website Upgrade - Daphne - An account was set up with Go Daddy. Daphne is working with Ecobytes to make the files accessible remotely so that we can upload them to Go Daddy. Ecobytes continues to keep the server going until the website is migrated. Daphne will be in touch with section heads and website contacts to discuss revisions for the new website.
2. Revisions to Field Trip Policies - Bill - These documents were circulated to the board by email for review. Motion: That we approve these documents as presented. (Daphne/Bengul). Discussion of these documents ensued and suggestions for additional revisions were made. Bill will work on final edits and add the finalized documents to the reference binder. Approved with 1 abstention.
3. BC Nature Conference 10-13 May 2018 - Bev - BC Nature Conference and Hosting Committee (met January 29th): Motion: That the board approve the theme Promoting Health in Nature: Past, Present and Future (Bev/Nigel). Approved. Evening activities now mostly booked: Thursday evening reception at UBC Forest Sciences Centre; Friday evening BBQ at UBC Botanical Gardens (?) and Saturday banquet at Musqueam Cultural Centre. Friday morning welcome, to include BC Mountaineering Club president (as Nature Vancouver was first a section of BCMC) Speakers as agreed upon by Hosting Committee are now being invited. Field Trips will be agreed upon at next Hosting Committee meeting. Publicity bookmark will be available for May Lillooet AGM and for NV members at evening talks.
4. 100th Anniversary - Bev -Museum of Vancouver 2018 exhibit - Elena Klein - refer to Elena’s update sent separately to the Board. Summer student application was submitted in January through BC Nature. Board consideration of financial arrangements for Surf Scoter Film, plus motion to approve $500 allocation. Motion: That $500 be approved from the Special Projects Fund for the Surf Scoter Film. (Bev/Cynthia). Approved. Other events/activities suggestions to date (and meeting Sunday, February 25, 3:00 pm). Centennial logo (to be used as letterhead, logo for hats or T-shirts, water bottles or coffee mugs) - Helen has designed and presented samples to the board for approval. Motion: That the logo be approved as presented. (Bev/Colin). Approved. The committee would like to start using the logo for letterhead used for 100th Anniversary business. Camp at Cinnabar Basin (covered earlier in agenda). North Shore Event(s) – summer day at Hollyburn Lodge (Friends of Cypress considering), birding walk to celebrate protection of Maplewood. Pin – 100th anniversary pin. Historical Timeline – both for MOV exhibit, for display at Conference, for website, and possibly some components for a publication.
5. Nominating Committee - Daphne - Daphne will be circulating an email to the board next week to confirm their intentions for board membership next year. Jeremy plans to stay on the board for one more year and would like to mentor a new treasurer during the coming year.
6. Awards committee - Bev - The information has gone twice in the weekly email. It is also in the Vancouver Naturalist. Several recommendations have been received so far.
7. Birder’s Guide and MOU for IOC 2018 - Colin - Jeremy, Bev and Colin have created a final draft of the MOU and circulated it to the board by email for review. Motion: That the board approves the latest draft of the MOU and submit it to Bob Elner at IOC 2018. (Colin/Bev). Approved. Colin will also send the IOC write up he created to Bob. It will be posted on the Birding Section webpage.
8. Botany Section Committee - Bill - tabled to next meeting
9. Bylaw revisions and changes to BC Societies Act - Jeremy - tabled to next meeting
10. Suggestions from Helen Aqua re: updating membership policies - Jeremy/Bill - tabled to next meeting
11. Future of Publications - tabled to next meeting
12. Status of Archiving Nature Vancouver Materials - Daphne - tabled to next meeting
Adjournment at 9:34 (Daphne/Colin) Approved
Next meeting: Next meeting Tuesday, March 7, 2017, 7:30 pm
Section Reports are contained in separate file, titled Section Reports, February 7, 2017.
np/March 7, 2017